Originating from Northern India, these Original Kadai Fire Pits were used as large cooking pots at festivals and weddings, as well as for general day to day cooking. The tried and tested design has not changed for centuries with riveted plates formed into a bowl shape and fitted with strong carrying handles.
If you are using the Kadai as an open fire we recommend very dry wood. The dryer the wood the less smoke the fire will produce. If you are using it to cook food over, we recommend charcoal, but once wood has burnt down to embers that works well too. To maximise cooking time use charcoal briquettes.
LIGHTING YOUR KADAI:
- Place the Kadai on a level surface.
- Cover the bottom of the Kadai evenly with approx. 5cm of builders sand; do not use beach sand as this contains salt. Using sand has several benefits e.g. heat will be retained for longer, it raises the level of charcoal, wood burns better on sand than it does directly on metal.
- Make a pyramid using paper with kindling, then light. When the kindling starts to burn, add larger pieces of wood. Gradually add wood and stop when you have reached the desired fire size.
CARE AND MAINTENANCE:
- The natural rust finish of the Original Kadai Fire Pits is part of the character of the item.
- Periodically use wire wool on the fire pit and stand to remove any loose rust.
- You can oil the fire pit and stand with vegetable oil to help maintain condition.
- Store fire pits inside during the winter or if it is not going to be used for a long period of time.
Original Kadai Fire Pit - from 140cm up to 160cm
KOKO Classics has a strict returns policy where we do not give a refund for change of mind, we do however offer a credit note or exchange for another item. Under Consumer Guarantees act we will give a refund if the product is faulty and we cannot repair or replace the item.
A large number of our items are factory aged and are an industrial style or vintage look, so there may be minor imperfections in furniture or the finishing. This adds to the charm and look of your special piece.